1. Once you have purchased the units of your choice you have access to the unit materials, student forums and tutor guidance for up to 6 months from the date of purchase for CILEx level 3 units and level 6 units 22 and 23. For CILEx level 6 units 1-21 you will have 10 months from the date of purchase. Please note student forums are unmoderated and not visited by staff members.
2. The name of your tutor will be sent to you shortly after you receive your username and password. Each purchase automatically includes the induction unit which will explain step by step how to access materials, upload your work and check your tutor’s feedback online. You must read the induction unit and 'about this unit' page for each unit before beginning your study to fully understand what is expected. It is strongly recommended that CILEx recommended textbooks are purchased for any unit undertaken, these are outlined in the unit information page. At level 6 book titles and publishers are indicated in our online information and can also be found at the CILEx website. At level 3 the recommended textbooks (manuals) are published by CILEx Law School and can be purchased from their online shop.
3. You will have access to LEXIS as part of your CILEx course of study. The induction unit will give guidance on the use of LEXIS and customer support can provide a username and password.
4. When you are ready complete an assignment and upload your work. Your tutor will be notified automatically and will mark your assignment within 14 days or 21 days for a mock examination or skills assignment submission. You may only submit each assignment and mock examination once for marking and feedback, if your unit is updated and contains amended assignments you may also complete these once each in addition to the original work. For professional skills units, legal research and client care at both levels 3 and 6, you may submit your work twice. Specific feedback, guidance or correction are not allowed under CILEx examination rules for the skills units. However general feedback will be indicated on first marking and one further submission will be allowed within the fee paid. Even if you remain within your 6 month subscription to one of these courses you will still have to repay for any further marking.
5. When your 10 or 6 month purchase is near expiry you will receive an e-mail offering you the opportunity to extend access to the materials and resources on a pro rata basis. Similarly when you have had your professional skills submissions marked on two occasions, if they are still not of a pass standard, you will be offered further marking opportunities for a nominal fee of £35 per marking.
6. If English is not your first language, we recommend that you do not embark on a course without first seeking advice on language training or qualifications which may be appropriate to enable study and achievement at your chosen level. Cardiff and Vale College online cannot provide such information or guidance and decisions relating to this are the sole responsibility of the individual. We reserve the right to terminate the course of any student whose written English does not meet the required standard.
7. In addition to your studies you must ensure that you are a member of CILEx. You can register for membership online and find details of costs etc at www.cilex.org.uk. It is your sole responsibility to establish , pay for and administer your membership directly with CILEx. Cardiff and Vale College Online will have no involvement in this. Purchasing a course of study does not include examination entry, becoming an CILEx member or requesting any exemptions.
8. You may enter for an examination session in any subject area when you feel ready to do so. For the professional skills units at both levels 3 and 6 it is recommended that you wait until your tutor has passed your work and a verifier confirms their marking, before you apply to submit your work to CILEx. CILEx requires that anyone who wishes to sit an CILEx examination or submit coursework must be a Member of CILEx. You must also enter yourself through the online examination entry form in order to submit professional skills assessment work. You should only do this when your tutor tells you that your work has passed and it has been verified. Your legal research and client care assessment work will be submitted via Cardiff and Vale College.
9. Examination sessions are in January and June, you should register to sit examinations at your local external centre by completing a registration form and making a payment at www.cilex.org.uk
10. It is your sole responsibility to find out the deadline dates for examination entry and enter yourself. It is also your responsibility to find your local centre, if you are unsure you can provide CILEx with your address and they will advise you further. Only legal research and client care skills work will be submitted via Cardiff and Vale College, all other examinations must be undertaken externally.
11. If your employer is paying your course fees we will provide them with regular updates on your progress and time spent online should they request this.
12. While we will make every effort to ensure our information is up to date and of benefit to you this website is provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis and any express or implied warranties or representations of any kind in relation to it, including, but not limited to, satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, availability, completeness, accuracy, non-infringement, compatibility and security are excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. The information on this website is not intended to provide advice or guidance for any purpose other than the study of the qualifications specified.
13. This website is owned and controlled by Cardiff and Vale College in the name Cardiff and Vale College Online. The information and content of all or any part of this website may be changed without notice at any time. By accessing and/or browsing this website, you accept all the terms and conditions and are acknowledging and agreeing to everything contained herein.
14. Copyright in all course materials remains that of Cardiff and Vale College in the name of Cardiff and Vale College Online. Any unauthorised reproduction or transmission of any part of the course materials, whether electronically or otherwise, will constitute an infringement of copyright. No part of the materials may be lent, resold or hired out for any purpose without the prior written permission of Cardiff and Vale College Online.
15. All intellectual property rights in and to the website and its contents are the property of Cardiff and Vale College Online and you agree not to copy, reproduce, transmit, distribute or create derivative works of any part of the website for any purpose except personal study use, nor assist any third party to distribute or commercially exploit all or any part of the website. When browsing this website, Cardiff and Vale College Online agree to your printing or downloading to a standalone personal computer extracts for personal use provided that Cardiff and Vale College Online is acknowledged as the source. Cardiff and Vale College Online may revoke this permission at any time.
16. The course is not transferable to any other party. You should take great care when making your purchase as regrettably refunds and transfers cannot be granted once your purchase is processed and your username/ password issued.
17. Without limitation, Cardiff and Vale College Online shall not be liable for any loss or damage of any kind whatsoever arising from, or in any way connected with, any use of this website or its contents or any material derived from it, whether such losses were foreseen, foreseeable, known or otherwise.
18. Cardiff and Vale College Online cannot be held responsibile for the availability or content of any external websites or resources to which it has hyperlinks and might not endorse or approve of any material on such websites.
19. All fees are as shown on the courses pages and are payable in full at the time of purchase. Course fees include tuition materials, access to tutor guidance by e-mail and unmoderated student forums for twelve or six months from the date of enrolment. No partial refund or discount will be given for any course materials or resources not utilised.
20. You are required to have an email address. It is a condition of your application to purchase a course that you have access to the internet so that you can access all resources and materials. You also need to satisfy yourself about your ability to use the web-based course resources by reference to the specification provided here. In order to use these materials effectively you will need a computer with the following computer specifications:
- Internet Connection
The newest version of any of the following - All available for free.
- Internet Explorer - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx
- Firefox - http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/
- Chrome - http://www.google.com/chrome
- Safari - http://www.apple.com/safari/
- Opera - http://www.opera.com/download/
- PDF Viewer
- Adobe Acrobat Reader - http://www.adobe.com/go/getreader/
- Foxit Reader - http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/addons.php
- Document Software
- Microsoft Word - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/
- OpenOffice - Free - http://download.openoffice.org/
- Video Files
- Macromedia Flash - Free - http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer
- Screen Resolution
- 1024 x 768 or higher
21. These terms, and your use of this website, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. The laws of England and Wales shall apply in all respects and the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
22. Cardiff and Vale College Online reserves the right to refuse purchases at any time and to end any users access to the site with immediate effect should this become necessary or desirable. If this should happen the user will be notified at the time of removal from the Cardiff and Vale College Online community.